Thursday, January 14, 2010

my global education

I didn't think it was possible to be jealous of yourself, but I think in the last week I have achieved it. I feel like the man in the Dos Equis commercials.

If you haven't seen one, you have to immediately-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwG1t-NVAA

About three times a day I have moments where I feel so fortunate that it's the type of emotion that expands within you and I feel kind of like I'm floating, for lack of a better contrived analogy.

Lucky for you, I have learned more things in the past couple days.

1. The term "giving an opinion" implies a cordial, non-argumentative offering of one's thoughts. Italians do not do this. Italians do not believe their opinions ARE opinions, in fact I don't think they think "opinions" exist. They force their opinions on others with an absoluteness that is astounding to witness as a meek little American. Exhibit A: my Italian language professor. In the first ten minutes of the first class, she managed to convince me that Italian politics are horribly and irrevocably corrupt, which really wasn't a hard sell. She then, bless her heart, told us why Florence isn't that great of a city, that she actually hates it, as well as Milan, and can only borderline tolerate Venice. Nice.

2. Everyday, an American in Italy will do something stupid, be immediately identified as an obnoxious American, and be made fun of. There is no escaping this, do not try.

3. I know I already learned this, but I'm still floored by the lack of free water/clean toilets. Also, I miss ice, as in frozen water, an art that has yet to reach the exotic land of Italy.

4. Everyone makes jokes about Italian men being forceful and creepy- statements such as these should not be taken as jokes. Stay far away. Firenze also seems to be chock full of Australians, a much safer and more charming bet.

I really can't believe I've only been here a week and some days. It feels like a month, in a good way. I just feel like I've done and seen SO much more than I would in my normal day to day life. Also, the relationships I have with my fellow program participants have developed about four times as quickly as normal interaction. I feel like I've known them forever kind of.

I hope everything is going well on the other side of the screen! More updates when I find the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment